[R] data encapsulation with classes

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Apr 8 15:08:18 CEST 2007

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007, Peter Williams wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to R from a C and Octave/Matlab background.  I am trying to
> construct some classes in R to which I want to attach pieces of data.
> First, is attr(obj, 'member name') <- data the accepted way of doing
> this?

No, it isn't. You seem to be trying to deduce new-style classes from a
representation used before R 2.4, but in any case it would not be
sensible. Please consult John M. Chambers. Programming with Data.
Springer, New York, 1998, and/or William N. Venables and Brian D. Ripley.
S Programming. Springer, New York, 2000, or for a shorter online resource:

http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/S-Workshop/Gentleman/Methods.pdf