[R] Generate a serie of new vars that correlate withexistingvar

Olivier ETERRADOSSI olivier.eterradossi at ema.fr
Fri Apr 6 10:03:48 CEST 2007

Hello Greg (and List),
Thnaks for your reply and reflections (and sorry for my "frenglish"....).
Of course you're right, and I agree "a posteriori" with all your views.
Probably my suggestion was first of all a mark of appreciation for your
solution ;-) .
Here is the path I followed to get where I was, but I see that I was
probably misunderstanding what makes the "core" of R :
1) The question of making such related couples of vectors is nearly a
FAQ, as you point out in your reply.
2) It appeared to me that it is often asked by newbies or users with
relatively small statistical knowledge.
3) To get to your solution, a good understanding is needed of what
correlation is, as well as of matrix properties and operators. My guess
was that the people listed above have generally not.
4) I believed from my own experience that the core of R was dedicated
either to basics or to rather complicated algorithms to handle or
produce results appearing as "simple" or "classical".
5) From my same own experience, I was not able to imagine to which
non-core package such a function should "obviously" be added. I imagined
that in the same manner, a person seeking for the function could have
some problems in locating it. Until now I did not have a look to your
TeachingDemos package (I'll do it), but I know of other categories of
searchers, often not statisticians, who  have a need to generate such
data and would not think of getting there to find a way.
To end with, all this mainly shows that I did not understand R
philosophy as well as I thought !
Thanks, and regards. Olivier

--
Olivier ETERRADOSSI