[R] Reasons to Use R

Lorenzo Isella lorenzo.isella at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 09:48:21 CEST 2007

John Kane wrote:
> --- Lorenzo Isella <lorenzo.isella at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> (4)finally, a list of the advantages for using R
>> over commercial
>> statistical packages. The money-saving in itself is
>> not a reason good
>> enough and some people are scared by the lack of
>> professional support,
>> though this mailing list is simply wonderful.
>>

> Given that I can do as much if not more with R (in
> most cases) than with commercial software, as an
> independent consultant,  'cost' is a very significant
> factor.
>
> A very major advantage of R is the money-saving.  Have
> a look at
> http://www.spss.com/stores/1/Software_Full_Version_C2.cfm
>
>  and convince me that cost ( for an independent
> contractor) is not a good reason.

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Hello,
No doubt that for an independent contractor money is a significant
issue, but we are talking about the case of a large organization for
which spending a few thousand euros on software is routine.
To avoid misunderstandings: I am myself an R user and I have no
intention to pay a cent for statistical software, but in order to speak
up for R vs any commercial software for data analysis and
postprocessing, I need technical details (benchmarks, etc...) rather
than the fact that it helps saving money.
Kind Regards

Lorenzo