[R] reading of a matrix

Schmitt, Corinna Corinna.Schmitt at igb.fraunhofer.de
Thu Apr 5 12:50:09 CEST 2007

Dear R-experts,

I still have problems with the reading of a matrix.

Input: matrixData6.txt

A-Paar B-Paar C-Paar D-Paar E-Paar
A 1  3  5  7  9
B 2  4  6  8 10

R-commands:
y=read.table(file="Z:/Software/R-Programme/matrixData6.txt")

Result:
  A.Paar B.Paar C.Paar D.Paar E.Paar
A      1      3      5      7      9
B      2      4      6      8     10

If you look into the txt-file you can recognize that the column names
are not the same. Why?

If I add in the txt-file the line "MyData:" infront of all followed by a
newline. The R-command as above response an error. How can I read the
modified input and get the following result:

MyData:

   A.Paar B.Paar C.Paar D.Paar E.Paar
A      1      3      5      7      9
B      2      4      6      8     10

Another stupid question might be hows can I change the column and row
names after I made "read.table"? I want to have the following result,
for example:

MyData:

       G      H      I      J      K
M      1      3      5      7      9
N      2      4      6      8     10

I studied all manuals I could find and the help but could not understand
the examples or interpret it right for my case.

Thanks for help,

Corinna