[R] Testing additive nonparametric model

vito muggeo vmuggeo at dssm.unipa.it
Tue Apr 3 11:43:24 CEST 2007

You can use the LRT (although I think that it assumes the df to be
fixed). For instance the package mgcv by Simon Wood has an anova method
to compare models fitted by the relevant gam() function, and the
print.summary() itself returns such information..

best,
vito

set.seed(123)
n<-100
sig<-2
x0 <- runif(n, 0, 1)
x1 <- runif(n, 0, 1)
y <- sin(2*pi*x0) + .5*x1 +sig*rnorm(n)
library(mgcv)
obj<-gam(y~s(x0)+s(x1))
obj1<-gam(y~s(x0)+x1)
anova(obj1,obj,test="F")
#also see the "Approximate significance of smooth terms"
summary(obj)