[R] End-of-Line Problems

William Asquith wasquith at austin.rr.com
Fri Sep 29 05:22:48 CEST 2006

I am teaching grad/undergrad course in which I am introducting
students to R as a side topic; however, I am simultaneously
supporting Windows/MacOSX/Linux for the students.

Under some conditions, the Windows users can not read files
originating from MacOSX. The end-of-line differences between OSs is
the cause. Windows=\r\n; Mac=\r; Unix=\n; etc. Some of the students
are extremely frustrated (of course).

My Windows users will not have dos2unix or perl -pi -e 's/\r\n$/\n/'
or similar abilities for file conversion.

read.table() does not appear to have capability to modify its end-of-
line definition--is this true?  Is there some R command sequence for
the students to change the end-of-line?

I've scanned mail archive and the Export/Importing manual, but I am
stuck and need some advice from other instructors of R in classroom
environments.

THANKS!

William A.