[R] drop

Hans-Peter gchappi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 15:57:08 CEST 2006

Hello,

What's the best/recommended way to drop the dimension of a data.frame?
Probably "test[,,]" but I am not sure. I would prefer an explicit
function, but drop doesn't work with frames and I didn't find
something in the helpfiles/mailarchive.

Example:

test <- data.frame( x = 1:7 )

str( drop( test ) )                     # still a data.frame

str( test[,, drop = TRUE] )             # ok
str( test[,,] )                         # ok <== IS THIS THE WAY TO DO IT?
str( as.integer( as.matrix( test ) ) )  # ok

str( drop( as.matrix( test ) ) )        # ~ok, named integer
test2 <- test
attributes( test2 ) <- NULL
str( drop( as.matrix( test2 ) ) )       # ok

Thanks and best regards,
Hans-Peter

PS: how could I lookup the code for subsetting a data.frame. I suppose
that it is in "data.frame.["