[R] recode problem - unexplained values

bgreen at dyson.brisnet.org.au bgreen at dyson.brisnet.org.au
Thu Sep 28 04:27:07 CEST 2006

I am hoping for some advice regarding the difficulties I have been having
recoding variables which are contained in a csv file.  Table 1 (below)
shows there are two types of blanks - as reported in the first two
columns. I am using windows XP & the latets version of R.

When blanks cells are replaced with a value of n using syntax: > affect
[affect==""] <- "n"
there are still 3 blank values (Table 2).   When as.numeric is applied,
this also causes problems because values of 2,3 & 4 are generated rather
than just 1 & 2.

TABLE 1

table(group,actions)
     actions
group           n   y
    1 100   2   0   3
    2  30   1   1   0
    3  24   0   0   0

TABLE 2

>  table(group,actions)
     actions
group           n   y
    1   0   2 100   3
    2   0   1  31   0
    3   0   0  24   0

Below is another example - for some reason there are 2 types of 'aobh'
values.

> table(group, type)
     type
group aobh aobh   gbh   m  uw