[R] multidimensional lists

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 19:39:55 CEST 2006

Just one other comment if the matrices have the same dimensions:
they could alternately be represented as a 4d array:

   A <- matrix(1:4, 2)

   AA <- matrix(list(A, 10*A, 100*A, 1000*A), 2, byrow = TRUE)
   AA[1,2]

   AAA <- array(unlist(AA), c(2,2,2,2))
   AAA[,,1,2] # same

This could have an advantage if you need to do things like
easily take the top left element of each matrix,

   AAA[1,1,,]

which in terms of AA would have required the longer expression:

   replace(AA, TRUE, lapply(AA, "[", 1, 1))