[R] Best use of LaTeX listings package for pretty printing R code

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Sep 25 15:31:37 CEST 2006

This is what I have been using.  Does anyone have a better way?  In
particular I would like to see letters in comment strings not stretched
so much.  Thanks -Frank

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{listings,relsize}
\lstloadlanguages{R}
\newcommand{\lil}[1]{\lstinline|#1|}

\begin{document}
\lstset{language=R,basicstyle=\smaller,commentstyle=\rmfamily\smaller,
  showstringspaces=false,%
  xleftmargin=4ex,literate={<-}{{$\leftarrow$}}1 {~}{{$\sim$}}1}
\lstset{escapeinside={(*}{*)}}   % for (*\ref{ }*) inside lstlistings (S
code)
\begin{lstlisting}
a <- b   # this is a test line
if(i==3) {  # another line, for y^2
  y <- 3^3
  z <- 'this string'
  qqcat <- y ~ pol(x,2)
} else y <- 4
\end{lstlisting}
That was \lstinline|x <- 22| \lil{q <- 'cat'}.
\end{document}