[R] s language version and complie languages

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Sep 24 08:41:47 CEST 2006

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Taka Matzmoto wrote:

> Hi R users
>
> Which version of S does the current R version use? Venables and Ripley's book
> (2000) says R is version 3 of S language. Is there any change since 2000 ?

Yes, the 'methods' package implements much of the changes in S version 4,
and there are quite a few nods to S4 elsewhere in the code.  That is
mentioned in the on-line errata files.

> I searched R-help archive for using C or C++ with R. Although there are some
> postings, I am looking for up-to-date answers. Which one ( C and C++)  works
> better with R? What complier is the best suited for R ( gcc or visual c++ or
> others)?

You seem to be assuming Windows.  The recommended compiler (MinGW gcc) and
toolset work best.  If you write C++, you need to use a C++ compiler, but
remember that C++ is not binary compatible across compilers (or even
compiler versions) and also that you need to use C bindings.  If you don't
need C++ features, use a C compiler.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk