[R] strange warning message

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun Sep 24 02:59:29 CEST 2006

On 9/23/2006 7:15 PM, Tong Wang wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>     I recently start to get this warning message,  while loading files in to R.   Could someone tell me what does it mean ?
> I am using R 2.3.0 with Emacs on WinXP.
>
>     use of NULL environment is deprecated

The files were saved in an earlier version of R, which used NULL to
indicate the base environment.  R is telling you that NULL is not a
legal environment.  It should be automatically converted to baseenv().

In a number of cases, people used NULL to indicate an empty environment
(even though there was no such thing when NULL was used); if that's true
for your code, then you'll need to fix it.  emptyenv() now gives you an
empty environment if that's what you really want.

Duncan Murdoch