[R] proj4R library will not install

Marc Schwartz (via MN) mschwartz at mn.rr.com
Fri Sep 22 23:52:37 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 17:16 -0400, Philip Bermingham wrote:
> I'm hoping someone can help me.  I have downloaded the proj4R.zip and
> under my version of R (2.3.1) I install the package from local zip
> file. This worked great.  I then type library(proj4R) to load the
> library and I get the error: Error in library(proj4R) : 'proj4R' is
> not a valid package -- installed < 2.0.0?  I have read through the
> install documentation and have downloaded and unpacked PROJ.4 to c:
> \proj\ so the bin is located at C:\proj\bin.  I then set the
> environmental variables PATH which now looks like : %SystemRoot%
> \system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files
> \Intel\DMIX;C:\Program Files\UltraEdit;C:\proj and I created a new
> user variable PROJ_LIB to c:\proj\nad.  I'm not sure if I am missing
> anything here but I still get the <2.0.0 error.  If you can help me in
> any way I would truly appreciate it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Philip Bermingham

proj4R is not a base or CRAN R package. Some Googling suggests that the
R package might be deprecated, as it has not been updated for some time
(hence the error msgs) based upon a review of the R related archive
files available at:

http://spatial.nhh.no/R/Devel/

I would suggest communicating with Roger Bivand (who I have cc'd here)
as to the status of the package and any subsequent replacements.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz