[R] Statitics Textbook - any recommendation?

Mike Nielsen mr.blacksheep at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 00:35:32 CEST 2006

Excellent characterization.

MASS is a very good book, but I'm not sure I would describe it as a
statistics textbook, much less one of the "basic" variety.  While I
certainly wouldn't presume to speak for Prof. Ripley and Dr. Venables,
it seems unlikely their intent in writing MASS was to teach
statistics, but rather, as the name of the book might suggest, to
explain how S+ (and R) can be applied to modern statistical
techniques.  My experience with this book is that it assumes
considerable background knowledge.

By all means, buy MASS, but if you need guidance on the how and why of
statistical techniques, you may wish to shop Amazon to find a
supplement.

Regards,

Mike

On 9/20/06, Berton Gunter <gunter.berton at gene.com> wrote:
> Not withstanding Prof. Heiberger's admirable enthusiasm, I think the
> canonical answer is probably MASS (Modern Applied Statistics with S) by
> Venables and Ripley. It is very comprehensive, but depending on your
> background, you may find it too telegraphic.
>
> -- Bert Gunter
> Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
> South San Francisco, CA
>
> "The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
> process."  - George E. P. Box

Regards,

Mike Nielsen