[R] tcltk problem

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 20 09:31:48 CEST 2006

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Dina Said wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using fedora core 3. I downloaded R and installed it.
> After that, I invoked R by the root user and write the
> command install.packages("Rcmdr", dependencies=TRUE). This
> command installs Rcmdr automatically. However, whenever I
> type library(Rcmdr), it tells me that Loading required
> package: tcltk Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
>         Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
> Error: package 'tcltk' could not be loaded
>

> tcl and tk are installed on my system
>
> The problem is that R can't find them as I guess

It is most likely that tcl and tk are installed, but tcl-devel and
tk-devel are not.  See the 'R Installation and Administation' manual.
Please install these RPMs if necessary, then re-install R, keeping a note
of the output from configure.

(As far as I know this cannot happen if you installed the RPM, so am
assuming that you built R from the sources: you omitted to tell us.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk