[R] R questions

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Tue Sep 19 10:07:27 CEST 2006

Hi

please try to consult some introduction manual and see some
suggestions below

Date sent:      	Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:55:02 -0400
From:           	Lynda <lynda_zhang at yahoo.com>
To:             	r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject:        	[R] R questions

>  I have a few questions for R:
>
> 1. Other than using a built-in function such as mean(), how do I know
> if it is installed in my current version of R?

see the difference between installed packages (e.g. those you have in
your library directory and packages attached by library command.

> ?interp
No documentation for 'interp' in specified packages and libraries:
you could try 'help.search("interp")'
> library(akima)
> ?interp
Help for 'interp' is shown in the browser

> 2. To get help in R, I can use several ways:
> ?sort
> help.search("sort")
> help(sort)
> apropos("sort")
> the help menu
>
> are there any other ways to get help?

It is not enough for you?

> 3. When I see a help menu for a function, does it mean the function is
> installed?

See above

> 4. If I execute a program file that contains output files that doesn't
> have a path specified, which path is it going to output to? Is it the
> Current Working Directory that the output file is going to output? if
> I change the working directory by using setwd(), is that going to
> change where the output file path permanently until I specify it
> again?

AFAIK Yes.

HTH
Petr