[R] Propensity score modeling using machine learning methods. WAS: RE: LARS for generalized linear models

Ridgeway, Greg gregr at rand.org
Mon Sep 18 22:04:55 CEST 2006

There may be benefits to having a machine learning method that
explicitly targets covariate balance. We have experimented with
optimizing the weights directly to obtain the best covariate balance,
but got some strange solutions for simple cases that made us wary of
such methods.

Machine learning methods that yield calibrated probability estimates
should do well (e.g. those that optimize the logistic log-likelihood).
Methods that only seek a decision boundary (SVM comes to mind) can be
give great classifiers but offer poor probability estimates and then the
propensity score weights are a mess. We've had a lot of success in
practice using gbm and selecting the number of iterations to optimize
balance. You can try the ps() function in the twang package which wraps
up gbm and balance optimization in a single function. It's slow for
large datasets but it gets the job done.

Including additional variables in a weighted regression is a great
protective step. It can reduce both bias and variance and can produce
"doubly robust" estimates of the treatment effect (see Bang & Robins
2005 for an example).

Greg