[R] prediction interval for new value

Michael Grant mwgrant2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 18:04:39 CEST 2006

Sachin,

One of the references in the link is a EPA groundwater statistics training
manual from the early nineties. For a more complete related discussion see pp.
50-62 of the July 1992 EPA draft addendum on groundwater monitoring statistics
at

http://www.epa.gov/correctiveaction/resource/guidance/sitechar/gwstats/gwstats.htm

Regarding discussion the prediction interval for linear regression you might
want to read sections of chapter 9 in Helsel and Hirsch:

http://pubs.usgs.gov/twri/twri4a3/

I would also recommend working of the examples in these or other references
with R in order to 1.) reassure yourself that the code is doing what you want
and 2.) you are comfortable with the concepts. I seem to recall seeing the
terms 'tolerance interval' and 'prediction interval' mingled in some
discussions--shades of Peter's 'hardly universal' comment. This means that
there is even more incentive to develop some facility with the concept and code
by working a few out first.

HTH

Regards,
Michael Grant