[R] Conservative

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Sep 14 12:21:28 CEST 2006

Gregor Gorjanc <gregor.gorjanc at bfro.uni-lj.si> writes:

> Douglas Bates <bates <at> stat.wisc.edu> writes:
>
> > On 9/13/06, Dimitris Rizopoulos <dimitris.rizopoulos <at> med.kuleuven.be>
> > > >
> > > You have this effect if you're using REML, for ML I don't think there
> > > is any problem to use LRT between nested models with different
> > > fixed-effects structure.
> > The other question is how does one evaluate the likelihood-ratio test
> > statistic and that is the issue that Dimitris is addressing.  The REML
> > criterion is a modified likelihood and it is inappropriate to look at
> > differences in the REML criterion when the models being compared have
> > different fixed-effects specifications, or even a different
> > parameterization of the fixed effects.  However, the anova method for
> > an lmer object does not use the REML criterion even when the model has
> > been estimated by REML.  It uses the profiled log-likelihood evaluated
> > at the REML estimates of the relative variances of the random effects.
> >  That's a complicated statement so let me break it down.
>
> Is this then the same answer as given by Robinson:1991 (ref at the end) to
> question by Robin Thompson on which likelihood (ML or REML) should be used
> in testing the "fixed" effects. Robinson answered (page 49 near bottom
> right) that both likelihoods give the same conclusion about fixed effects.
> Can anyone comment on this issues?

At the risk of sticking my foot in it due to not reading the paper
carefully enough: There appears to be two other likelihoods in play,
one traditional one depending on fixed effects and variances and
another depending on fixed effects and BLUPs ("most likely
unobservables"). I think Robinson is talking about the equivalence of
those two.

(and BTW ss=Statistical Science in the ref.)