[R] reformat records one to several

Steven Van Wilgenburg slv511 at mail.usask.ca
Wed Sep 13 20:06:14 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am a new user of R and am still trying to figure out which statements
do which functions and am looking for a jump start.

I have a dataset where the data were collected as ten minute counts
where the number of new individuals within a species was recorded as
cohorts within 3 separate time intervals within the ten minute count
persiod. Each row of data therefore follows a format like this:

       Date    Time       Sample	Species	t1 t2 t3
June 5,2006 5:20 AM AUSFAKE01	OVEN	3  0  1
etc.....

I would like to reformat these data as if the counts recorded only
individuals and not cohorts, so that the above would look as follows

       Date    Time       Sample	Species	t1 t2 t3
June 5,2006 5:20 AM AUSFAKE01	OVEN	1  0  0
June 5,2006 5:20 AM AUSFAKE01	OVEN	1  0  0
June 5,2006 5:20 AM AUSFAKE01	OVEN	1  0  0
June 5,2006 5:20 AM AUSFAKE01	OVEN	0  0  1
etc.....

I believe I could do this in SAS with IF, THEN and DO statements,

e.g.
if t1>0 then
	do i=1 to t1
		output Date,Time,Sample,Species,"1","0","0";
if t2>0 then
	do i=1 to t2
		output Date,Time,Sample,Species,"0","1","0";
if t3>0 then
	do i=1 to t3
		output Date,Time,Sample,Species,"0","0","1";
end;

Can anyone point me in the right direction? What is the similar
statement to DO in R?

Steve VW