[R] Access Rows in a Data Frame by Row Name

Tony Plate tplate at acm.org
Wed Sep 13 20:01:31 CEST 2006

Matrix-style indexing works for both columns and rows of data frames.

E.g.:
 > x <- data.frame(a=1:5, b=6:10, d=11:15)
   a  b  d
1 1  6 11
2 2  7 12
3 3  8 13
4 4  9 14
5 5 10 15
 > x[2:4,c(1,3)]
   a  d
2 2 12
3 3 13
4 4 14

Time spend reading the help document "An Introduction to R" will
probably be well worth it.  The relevant sections are "5 Arrays and
matrices", and "6.3 Data frames".

-- Tony Plate