[R] Reading fixed column format

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 16:21:16 CEST 2006

On 9/13/06, Anupam Tyagi <AnupTyagi at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > C:\bin>cut -c2-3,6-8 a.dat
> > 23678
> > 23678
> > 23678
>
> Thanks. I think this will work. How do I redirect the output to a file on
> windows?

Same as on UNIX

cut -c2-3,6-8 a.dat > a2.dat

> Is there simple way to convert the cut command to a script on windows,

Using notepad or other text editor put it in file a.bat and then
issue this command from the console

a.bat

Note that you could process it multiple time if you like:

cut -c6-8 a.dat > a2.dat
cut -c2-3 a2.dat > a3.dat

produces the same thing but uses 2 passes and so keeps each line shorter.
Be sure you do it from the tail end forward as shown above to avoid having
to recalculate the positions.