[R] Fwd: (no subject)

David Barron mothsailor at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 12 15:09:08 CEST 2006

>From the FAQ:

7.10 How do I convert factors to numeric?

It may happen that when reading numeric data into R (usually, when
reading in a file), they come in as factors. If f is such a factor
object, you can use

     as.numeric(as.character(f))

to get the numbers back. More efficient, but harder to remember, is

     as.numeric(levels(f))[as.integer(f)]

In any case, do not call as.numeric() or their likes directly for the
task at hand (as as.numeric() or unclass() give the internal codes).

On 12/09/06, Anders Eklund <aeklund at kth.se> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with aggregate.
>
> x <- aggregate(t1,list(t2,t3,t4), mean)
>
> z<-x[,3]
>
> I want z to be a vector but it is a factor.
>
> I've tried to use as.vector(z,mode="numeric") but then the numbers get
> scrambeled.
>
> Any help is appriciated
>
> /anders

David Barron