[R] syntax of nlme

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue Sep 12 00:54:58 CEST 2006

<in line>

Douglas Bates wrote:
> On 9/11/06, Thomas Wutzler <thomas.wutzler at web.de> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>

>> How do I specify the formula and random effects without a startup object
>> ? I thought it would be a mixture of nls and lme.
>> after trying very hard, I ask for help on using nlme.
>>
>> Can someone hint me to some examples?
>>

> There are quite a few examples in the book Pinheiro and Bates (2000),
> "Mixed-effects Models in S and S-PLUS"

      Permit me to offer a personal testimonial:  If you do more
statistics than just this one data set, I believe you will be amply
rewarded for investing money and time in that book.  The value of this
investment will be further enhanced by working line by line (as you read
the text) through the files "ch01.R", "ch02.R", ..., "ch06.R" and
"ch08.R" in "~library\nlme\scripts" in your R installation directory.
Spencer Graves