[R] Command equivalent of rgui "File, Save to File"?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Sep 12 02:37:52 CEST 2006

On 9/11/2006 3:57 PM, Michael Prager wrote:
> R 2.3.1 on Windows XP Professional.
>
> I am writing some scripts to generate examples.  The Rgui menu
> item "File, Save to File" is helpful.  Is there perhaps an
> equivalent R function that can be incorporated into a script?

I think sink() is the closest you can get: set R to write to a file
before generating whatever output you want to save.

The menu item writes out the GUI text buffer; the R core doesn't know
what's in that buffer.  Other front ends don't have a buffer at all.

Of course, we could write an Rgui-specific C function that put that text
into an R character vector so you could do what you liked with it, but
since sink() exists and is portable, there isn't a lot of motivation to
do that.  This will happen automatically if we ever get around to
defining an abstract GUI interface all controllable and configurable
from R, but I don't know anyone working on that right now.

Duncan Murdoch