[R] Conservative "ANOVA tables" in lmer

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Mon Sep 11 19:06:13 CEST 2006

On 9/10/06, John Maindonald <john.maindonald at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> A Wiki entry is an excellent idea.  I am happy to try to help.
>
> An account of mcmcsamp() might be very useful part of the Wiki.  My
> limited investigations suggest that once the data starts to overwhelm
> the prior (maybe ~3 df for an effect that is of interest), the
> posterior distribution that it gives provides a very good
> approximation to the sampling distribution.
>
> I have been meaning to put aside time to try to work out, with the
> help of a colleague here at ANU, how the Kenward & Roger (Biometrics,
> 1997) approximation might be implemented in lmer, but it has'nt yet
> happened and is unlikely to do so for a while.

I think it would be nontrivial to do this for a general case.  A
literal translation of the formulas in that paper may be suitable for
simple cases but not for general cases.  Like many papers in this
literature this one has the inverse of an n by n matrix (n being the
number of observations) embedded in the middle of most of the
formulas. Given that some users are seriously considering fitting
models for which n is in the millions, forming and manipulating an n
by n matrix in such cases is out of the question unless you can
exploit special properties of the matrix.