[R] Conservative "ANOVA tables" in lmer

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Sep 7 17:11:47 CEST 2006

On 9/7/06, Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:

>     DB> Thanks for your summary, Hank.
>     DB> On 9/7/06, Martin Henry H. Stevens <hstevens at muohio.edu> wrote:
>     >> Dear lmer-ers,
>     >> My thanks for all of you who are sharing your trials and tribulations
>     >> publicly.
>
>     >> I was hoping to elicit some feedback on my thoughts on denominator
>     >> degrees of freedom for F ratios in mixed models. These thoughts and
>     >> practices result from my reading of previous postings by Doug Bates
>     >> and others.
>
>     >> - I start by assuming that the appropriate denominator degrees lies
>     >> between n - p and and n - q, where n=number of observations, p=number
>     >> of fixed effects (rank of model matrix X), and q=rank of Z:X.
>
>     DB> I agree with this but the opinion is by no means universal.  Initially
>     DB> I misread the statement because I usually write the number of columns
>     DB> of Z as q.
>
>     DB> It is not easy to assess rank of Z:X numerically.  In many cases one
>     DB> can reason what it should be from the form of the model but a general
>     DB> procedure to assess the rank of a matrix, especially a sparse matrix,
>     DB> is difficult.
>
>     DB> An alternative which can be easily calculated is n - t where t is the
>     DB> trace of the 'hat matrix'.  The function 'hatTrace' applied to a
>     DB> fitted lmer model evaluates this trace (conditional on the estimates
>     DB> of the relative variances of the random effects).
>
>     >> - I then conclude that good estimates of P values on the F ratios lie
>     >>   between 1 - pf(F.ratio, numDF, n-p) and 1 - pf(F.ratio, numDF, n-q).
>     >>   -- I further surmise that the latter of these (1 - pf(F.ratio, numDF,
>     >>   n-q)) is the more conservative estimate.
>
> This assumes that the true distribution (under H0) of that "F ratio"
> *is*  F_{n1,n2}  for some (possibly non-integer)  n1 and n2.
> But AFAIU, this is only approximately true at best, and AFAIU,
> the quality of this approximation has only been investigated
> empirically for some situations.
> Hence, even your conservative estimate of the P value could be
> wrong (I mean "wrong on the wrong side" instead of just
> "conservatively wrong").  Consequently, such a P-value is only
> ``approximately conservative'' ...
> I agree howevert that in some situations, it might be a very
> useful "descriptive statistic" about the fitted model.

Thank you for pointing that out Martin.  I agree.  As I mentioned a
value of the denominator degrees of freedom based on the trace of the
hat matrix is conditional on the estimates of the relative variances
of the random effects.  I think an argument could still be made for
the upper bound on the dimension of the model space being rank of Z:X
and hence a lower bound on the dimension of the space in which the
residuals lie as being n - rank[Z:X].  One possible approach would be
to use the squared length of the projection of the data vector into
the orthogonal complement of Z:X as the "sum of squares" and n -
rank(Z:X) as the degrees of freedom and base tests on that.  Under the
assumptions on the model I think an F ratio calculated using that
actually would have an F distribution.