[R] terms.inner

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue Sep 5 18:26:01 CEST 2006

Terry:

errr...

> > at it, although I don't remember the form.  This Nixonesque
> passion with
> > hiding things is one of the reasons I still prefer Splus.

Two comments:

1) The use of namespaces is a well-established appoach in computer science
to avoid naming conflicts (and probably other stuff I don't understand).

2) To be fair, S-Plus is a proprietary closed system, and so can and
presumably does control its naming of new functions so that naming conflicts
are avoided. R, which is an open system with literally hundreds of
contributed packages cannot do this, and so must use some methodology like
namespaces to do so.

Cheers,
Bert

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box