[R] A question about gc()

Tong Wang wangtong at usc.edu
Tue Sep 5 12:02:43 CEST 2006

Hi everyone,
    I am doing some intensive computation:  50000 regressions of the form Y~X with each y of size (1,1000) ,
even if I break invoke gc() for a few time in the loop, it still breaks down at some point with the error message:

Error in .signalSimpleWarning("Reached total allocation of 1024Mb: see help(memory.size)",  :
        recursive default argument reference

After getting this, even if I call gc() and resume the computation, it won't move at all.
May I get some suggestions what should I do to get around this problem ?
Thanks a lot.

tong