[R] Command line cut-off

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 4 11:16:28 CEST 2006

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, Björn Thalheim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that, when working with R on a command line, I cannot enter
> anything into the command line which is longer than 1023 characters.

Actually, 1000 or 1022 or 1023 bytes, and it depends on your 'command
line' (and you have not even told us your OS).

You will find details in the R-devel list archives, e.g.

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2006-August/038985.html

> If I input sth longer, it'l be just cut off at this lenght, and a "+"
> will be presented to me on the command line.
>
> It's not as bad since I can copy'n'paste commands longer than this with
> newline characters in between onto the prompt, but still kind of annoying.

How do you think thousands users of R for a decade have managed?
What are you doing that needs 'commands' (R has function calls) longer
than 1000 or so characters that need to be on one line?

> Does anybody know how I can make my command line accept lines longer
> than 1023 characters?

See the R-devel version of R for a full description: on some consoles it
works there.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk