[R] ANNOUNCEMENT: 20% Discount on the Latest R Books from Chapman & Hall/CRC Press

Calver, Rob Rob.Calver at informa.com
Tue Oct 31 16:53:28 CET 2006

Take advantage of a 20% discount on the most recent R books from Chapman & Hall/CRC!

Chapman and Hall/CRC is pleased to offer the latest books on R - all available through our website at a 20% discount to users of the software. To take advantage of this offer that is valid across the board for all of our R books, simply visit http://www.crcpress.com/, choose your titles, and insert the online discount code - 585HHXXXX - in the 'Promotion Code' field at checkout.

** OWN THESE LATEST R TITLES! **

A Handbook of Statistical Analyses Using R
Brian S. Everitt, Institute of Psychiatry, King's College, London, UK
Torsten Hothorn, Institut für Medizininformatik, Biometrie und Epidemiologie, Erlangen, Germany

>From simple inference to recursive partitioning and cluster analysis, this book methodically leads readers through the necessary steps, commands, and interpretation of results - addressing theory and statistical background only when useful or necessary. Beginning with an introduction to R, it discusses the syntax, general operators, and basic data manipulation while summarizing the most important features. Numerous figures highlight R's strong graphical capabilities and exercises at the end of each chapter reinforce the techniques and concepts presented. All data sets and code used in the book are available as a downloadable package from CRAN, the R online archive.

Discounted Price: $39.95 / £23.99

For more details and to order:
http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=C5394&parent_id=&pc

***

Generalized Additive Models: An Introduction with R
Simon N. Wood, University of Bath, UK

This book provides a thorough understanding of the theory and practical applications of GAMs and related advanced models. The author bases his approach on a framework of penalized regression splines, and builds a well-grounded foundation through motivating chapters on linear and generalized linear models. While firmly focused on the practical aspects of GAMs, discussions include fairly full explanations of the theory underlying the methods. Use of the freely available R software helps explain the theory and illustrates the practicalities of linear, generalized linear, and generalized additive models, as well as their mixed effect extensions.

Discounted Price: $63.95 / £31.99

For more details and to order:
http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=C4746&parent_id=&pc

*** ACQUIRE THESE ADDITIONAL R TITLES! ***

Linear Models with R
Julian J. Faraway, University of Bath, UK

Focusing on the practice of regression and analysis of variance, this book clearly demonstrates the different methods available and in which situations each one applies. It covers all of the standard topics, from the basics of estimation to missing data, factorial designs, and block designs, but it also includes discussion of topics, such as model uncertainty, rarely addressed in books of this type. The presentation incorporates numerous examples that clarify both the use of each technique and the conclusions one can draw from the results.

Discounted Price: $55.96/£31.99

For more details and to order:
http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=C4258&parent_id=&pc

***

Extending Linear Models with R: Generalized Linear, Mixed Effects and Nonparametric Regression Models
Julian J. Faraway, University of Bath, UK

This book surveys the techniques that grow from the regression model, presenting three extensions to that framework: generalized linear models (GLMs), mixed effect models, and nonparametric regression models. The author's treatment is thoroughly modern and covers topics that include GLM diagnostics, generalized linear mixed models, trees, and even the use of neural networks in statistics. To demonstrate the interplay of theory and practice, throughout the book the author weaves the use of the R software environment to analyze the data of real examples, providing all of the R commands necessary to reproduce the analyses.

Discounted Price: $63.96/£31.99

For more details and to order:
http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=C424X&parent_id=&pc

***

R Graphics
Paul Murrell, The University of Auckland, New Zealand

Considered the leading expert on the use of R graphics, Murrell gives statisticians the first complete reference on the R graphical system. An in-depth text that takes nothing for granted, it helps both neophytes and seasoned statisticians master the intricacies of R. No other published volume contains information on R's grid graphics, and much of the information the author provides is original material not to be found anywhere else. Ahead of the curve, this volume defines the direction for the future of statistical graphical development.

Discounted Price: $55.96/£31.99

For more details and to order:
http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=C486X&parent_id=&pc

** OTHER TITLES OF INTEREST FEATURING R! **

Robust Statistical Methods with R
Jana Jureckova, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Jan Picek, technical University of Liberec, Czech Republic

This book provides a systematic treatment of robust procedures with an emphasis on practical application. The authors work from underlying mathematical tools to implementation, paying special attention to the computational aspects. They cover the whole range of robust methods, including differentiable statistical functions, distance of measures, influence functions, and asymptotic distributions. The book features hands-on problem solving, many examples and computational algorithms using the R software supplementing the discussion. It examines the characteristics of robustness, estimators of real parameter, large sample properties, and goodness-of-fit tests and also includes a brief overview of R in an appendix for those with little experience using the software.

Discounted Price: $63.96/£35.99

For more details and to order:
http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=C4541&parent_id=&pc

***

Using R for Introductory Statistics
John Verzani, CUNY, College of Staten Island, New York

This reference presents a self-contained treatment of statistical topics and the intricacies of the R software. The pacing is such that students are able to master data manipulation and exploration before diving into more advanced statistical concepts. The book treats exploratory data analysis with more attention than is typical, includes a chapter on simulation, and provides a unified approach to linear models. It lays the foundation for further study and development in statistics using R. Appendices cover installation, graphical user interfaces, and teaching with R, as well as information on writing functions and producing graphics.

Discounted Price: $35.96/£19.99

For more details and to order:
http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=C4509&parent_id=&pc

***

Correspondence Analysis and Data Coding with Java and R
Fionn Murtagh, Royal Holloway University of London, UK

This book introduces the theory, methods, and applications of correspondence analysis. With an emphasis on data coding, it clearly demonstrates why this technique remains important and in the eyes of many, unsurpassed as an analysis framework. The author provides a theoretical overview and software in Java and R for correspondence analysis, clustering, and interpretation tools. A full chapter of case studies explores a range of applications to time-evolving data and in areas such as financial modeling, shape analysis, and the biosciences. The software and all of the data sets used in the book are available on a supporting web site.

Discounted Price: $63.96/£35.99

For more details and to order:
http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=C5289&parent_id=&pc

***

Linear Mixed Models: A Practical Guide Using Statistical Software
Brady T. West, Kathleen B. Welch, Andrzej T. Galecki, with contributions from Brenda W. Gillespie, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA

Discounted Price: $39.96/£23.99

For more details and to order:
http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=C4800&parent_id=&pc

***

Markov Chain Monte Carlo: Stochastic Simulation for Bayesian Inference, Second Edition
Dani Gamerman, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Hedibert F. Lopes, University of Chicago, USA

Discounted Price: $39.96/£23.99

For more details and to order:
http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=C5874&parent_id=&pc

***

Measurement Error in Nonlinear Models: A Modern Perspective, Second Edition
Raymond J. Carroll, Texas A & M University, College Station, USA
David Ruppert, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA
Leonard A. Stefanski, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, USA
Ciprian M. Crainiceanu, John Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Discounted Price: $71.95/£39.99

For more details and to order:
http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=C311X&parent_id=&pc

** CALL FOR AUTHORS **

Chapman & Hall/CRC Press is actively seeking quality manuscripts to publish, particularly advanced textbooks, professional references, and handbooks that incorporate real-life examples, applications, and specific software implementations. If you have an idea for a book or have a manuscript already in progress, we want to hear about it. For proposal and manuscript submission guidelines, please contact:

Sunil Nair
Publisher, Mathematics & Statistics
Chapman & Hall/CRC Press
24-25 Blades Court, Deodar Road