[R] Compiling R packages on Ubuntu

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Oct 31 14:58:42 CET 2006

On 31 October 2006 at 18:30, Vikas Rawal wrote:
| I am unable to compile R packages from source on Ubuntu
| dapper/edgy. Does anybody have an experience?

Please note that CRAN actually pre-builds binaries of R 2.4.0 thanks to
untiring efforts of Christian Steigies.

This *is* mentioned in the R FAQ.

| When I do install.packages("nlme",depend=TRUE), I get following error messages. Can someone help?
|
| I get similar messages for any package I try to compile.

Yo do no seem to have a development environment installed.  Please do

	$ sudo apt-get install r-base-dev

and try again.  Longer term, consider investing in one of the books
discussing the GNU compiler toolchain as the compiler was fairly explicit in
its eror message, and it pays off to listen to the compiler.

r-base-dev is also mentioned in the R FAQ.

Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison