[R] installing package help with limited permissions

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Oct 30 23:04:53 CET 2006

On 10/30/2006 11:25 AM, Eva Goldwater wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I administer a student (Windows based) computer lab, which has R
> installed.  I want to permit students to install R packages, but of
> course they don't have write permission to R root folder.  Following FAQ
> suggestion, I've set up a folder that they can write to, and set the
> R_LIB parameter on the shortcut to this folder.  So  far, so good - they
> can now install packages. However, I have not found any way to get the
> corresponding help files installed.
>
> FAQ says the help files require write permission to R installation
> folder.  This seems pretty extreme.  Is there some subfolder that would
> do the trick?  Any way to have an alternate place to store help files,
> just as we are using an alternate location for packages?
>
> I tried giving users Modify permission to R..../doc/html folder.  With
> this, install package does NOT give any error for insufficient
> permission to install help; help(package='package_name') works; however
> help(function, package='package_name') still does not work.
>
> Is there any good way out of this dilemma, short of giving users free
> permission to the entire R installation?  Thanks for any suggestions.

I wouldn't play with the permissions.  I think you can install help
pages locally, and as long as you set the library locations properly
(using R_LIBS and/or .libPaths()) help should be available.  The one
thing you can't do on Windows is link locally installed help in with
global help.

So I'd suggest settling on a particular location for each student to put
his or her library, e.g. R_lib under their home directory.  Then put
"R_LIBS=/path/to/R_lib" on the command line.  The tricky bit might be
working out what /path/to/R_lib is if it varies from student to student
and you want to set it for them. This setting for the target in the
shortcut seems to work for me:

"C:\Program Files\R\R-2.4.0\bin\Rgui.exe"
R_LIBS="%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%/R_libs"

You can run .libPaths() to check after you start, and
Sys.getenv("R_LIBS") to see what you were asking for.  If the R_libs
directory doesn't exist, then you won't see it in .libPaths.

Duncan Murdoch