[R] Book for Maximum Likelihood Methods in R

Ben Bolker bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Mon Oct 23 02:10:32 CEST 2006

Milton Cezar Ribeiro <milton_ruser <at> yahoo.com.br> writes:

> Hi R-guys,
>
> Is there a good book for maximum likelihood methods in R?
> I´m looking mainly to Ecological approaches to apply ML.

** BLATANT PLUG warning **:

I'm working on a book on statistical/ecological
modeling in R, to be published by Princeton University
Press sometime in (?) 2007, that focuses on constructing
maximum likelihood models.  I have a draft up on
my web site at http://www.zoo.ufl.edu/bolker/emdbook .

  I would be very grateful if other R aficionados
wanted to have a look and tell me what they thought
(keeping the target audience in mind --- ecology
students and researchers who know a bit of classical
statistics and want to be able to do more by
"rolling their own" in R)

Other useful links (googling "maximum likelihood R optim" ...)

http://www.mayin.org/ajayshah/KB/R/documents/mle/mle.html
ctfs.si.edu/workshopnew/Documentation/sample%20likelihood.doc

  As is often the case, it would also help if you gave
more detail about what you wanted to do -- probably the
majority of modern statistical methods use "maximum
likelihood" in one format or another ...

  cheers
    Ben Bolker