[R] R-2.4.0 and MS Vista OS - installing packages

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Oct 20 23:01:39 CEST 2006

Peter Dalgaard wrote:
> "Charles Annis, P.E." <Charles.Annis at statisticalengineering.com> writes:
>
>> I have installed Microsoft Vista Release Candidate 1, and R-2.4.0, on a 4
>> year old DELL box with a 2.26 GHz P4 and 1 gig.  It was a clean install – R
>> is the only non-MS program running.
>>
>> I cannot install packages from CRAN, nor from local zipped files.  (I have
>> R-2.4.0 installed on a Windows XP machine and have had no problems so the
>> difficulty seems to be Vista not R, however they aren't playing together
>> nicely as they should.)
>>
>> The CRAN installation of R-2.4.0 on the Vista machine was without incident,
>> but after downloading the zipped packages from CRAN I get this error
>> message:
>>

>>> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
>> trying URL
>> 'http://cran.us.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.4/RColorBrewer_0.2-3.zip
>> '
>> Content type 'application/zip' length 39787 bytes
>> opened URL
>> downloaded 38Kb
>>
>> Error in zip.unpack(pkg, tmpDir) : cannot open file 'C:/Program
>> Files/R/R-2.4.0/library/file6fc97ac2/RColorBrewer/chtml/RColorBrewer.chm'
>> Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Not claiming any expertise on Windows or (in particular) Vista, but
> what happens if you install R to a directory without a space in its
> name?
>
> Or perhaps there's a permission issue. Try installing to a
> subdirectory of your home directory.

In fact, I *guess* Microsoft has increased security for chm files (there
were many security issues in older versions of Windows with chm files)
and only accepts to open Microsoft certified or signed chm files by
default. You can probably tell Vista to open other chm files as well,
but don't ask me how.
As mentioned, only a guess and I do not have a Vista copy around.

Uwe Ligges