[R] Redhat compilers and lme4 with R-2.4.0

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 19 12:00:49 CEST 2006

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Stefan Grosse wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley schrieb:
>>
>> Not surprising: you have not compiled R with -std=gnu99 to allow C99
>> features, as recommended in the R-admin manual, and selected by default.
>> (Comment to Doug Bates: it is probably better still to write in C90 if you
>> can.)
>>
>> This seems to be a problem with the flags used to build the FC5 RPMs.
>> I think you can circumvent it by adding
>>
>> PKG_CFLAGS=-std=gnu99
>>
>> to lme4/src/Makevars.
>>

> I am having the same problem on Fedora Core 5 with the 2.4.0 rpm from CRAN.
> Update from lme4 0.9975-3 to lme4 0.9975-6 failed due to exactly the same
> error message. I would have expected the cran rpm is compiled according to
> the R-admin guide...?

But it is not, as you can check by looking at R_HOME/etc/Makeconf.  (That
seems like basic homework to be done _before_ posting: I can only know
that because I happen to have that RPM installed on my own machine.)

My understanding is that rpmbuild is overridding the R defaults, and needs
to be overridden in turn. I've copied in Martyn Plummer, who will know for
sure what happens and what needs to be done about this.

>From offline correspondence, I gathered that the next lme4 revision will
revert to C90, which would resolve this.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk