[R] Schmera: a question on R software

Torsten Hothorn Torsten.Hothorn at rzmail.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Oct 18 16:59:29 CEST 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Douglas Bates wrote:

> On 10/18/06, Torsten Hothorn <Torsten.Hothorn at rzmail.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, SCHMERA Dénes wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I would like to run a generalized linear mixed model with the software R (one categorical predictor, one random factor, the distribution of the dependent variable is binomial, and the link is logit). Thereafter, I would like to perform multiple comparisons (post hoc test) among the groups of the categorical predictor.
>>>
>>> Is it possible with the software R?
>>>

>> yes and no. There is the `multcomp' package available but the CRAN version
>> is limited to linear models (more or less). However, I'm currently working
>> on a re-implementation which has solutions for your problem and much
>> more :-)
>>
>> For the time being, the development version is available from
>>
>>         http://www.imbe.med.uni-erlangen.de/~hothorn/multcomp2
>>
>> The basic steps would be as follows:
>>
>> ### fit logistic regression model
>>> my.glm <- glm(response ~ myfactor, data = <mydata>, family = binomial())
>> ### set up linear hypothesis for coef(my.glm) corresponding to all-pair
>> ### comparisons
>>> library("multcomp2")
>>> gh <- glht(my.glm, linfct = mcp(myfactor = "Tukey"))
>> ### simultaneous confidence intervals with plots
>>> confint(gh)
>>> plot(confint(gh))
>
> The original question was about generalized linear mixed models which
> is going to be even more difficult. :-(

oh, oups, didn't read the question carefully enough. The framework is
general enough that one can feed in `lmer' objects into `glht'. It is
assumed that the fixed effects coefficients are asymptotically joint
normal with covariance as reported by `vcov()' and confidence intervals
and (adjusted) p-values are valid only asymptotically.

However, if this is really appropriate is a question I'm not able to
answer :-(

Torsten