[R] Calculation of Eigen values.

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 18 10:43:03 CEST 2006

The source of the codes used *is* documented in ?eigen: please consult the
references there.  By default it is the LAPACK routine DSYEVR.  From the
comments at the head of that function (in src/modules/lapack/dlapack1.f)

*  DSYEVR computes selected eigenvalues and, optionally, eigenvectors
*  of a real symmetric matrix T.  Eigenvalues and eigenvectors can be
*  selected by specifying either a range of values or a range of
*  indices for the desired eigenvalues.
*
*  Whenever possible, DSYEVR calls DSTEGR to compute the
*  eigenspectrum using Relatively Robust Representations.  DSTEGR
*  computes eigenvalues by the dqds algorithm, while orthogonal
*  eigenvectors are computed from various "good" L D L^T representations
*  (also known as Relatively Robust Representations). Gram-Schmidt
*  orthogonalization is avoided as far as possible.

*  For more details, see "A new O(n^2) algorithm for the symmetric
*  tridiagonal eigenvalue/eigenvector problem", by Inderjit Dhillon,
*  Computer Science Division Technical Report No. UCB//CSD-97-971,
*  UC Berkeley, May 1997.

All of this is readily available in the R sources: so please do your
homework (see the posting guide).