[R] Review process for new packages

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Oct 17 13:07:39 CEST 2006

On 10/17/2006 2:22 AM, Andreas Wittmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i'm currently working on a creditmetrics package which includes functions for computing the credit risk model creditmetrics. I guess it would be finished in a few days.
>
> My question now is, does there exist some review process before sending it to ctan or is it reviewed after having sended it?

You should read the instructions in the Writing R Extensions manual, and
make sure it passes "R CMD check" without errors or warnings, before you
send it.

CRAN will run its own checks on a number of different platforms, and if
your package doesn't pass, they'll probably ask you to fix it -- but you
should do your best to make their job easier by getting it right before
you send it.

If your package passes those checks, it will likely be posted to CRAN.
(There are exceptions, e.g. if they notice your license is not
compatible with CRAN, etc.)

There's no review process to decide whether your package is useful or
well-written.  If you want that kind of review you should submit it to
the Journal of Statistical Software.

Duncan Murdoch