[R] New package Ryacas

Simon Blomberg blomsp at ozemail.com.au
Tue Oct 17 06:57:11 CEST 2006

Hi Gabor,

I'm running Quantian (Debian) inside a VMware virtual machine, on a
Windows XP host.

I installed the latest version of yacas from the source tarball. I
remembered to ./configure --enable-server to allow server connections.
make and make install worked ok, after some fiddling. I checked that the
yacas server option worked, by doing yacas --server 3333, and then
telnet'ing to 127.0.0.1 3333 to check. It worked fine. I installed
Ryacas. I then tried it out and got the following error:

 > library(Ryacas)
 > yacas('Integrate(x)x;')
[1] "Starting Yacas!"
Error in socketConnection(host = "127.0.0.1", port = 9734, server =
FALSE,  :
       unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
127.0.0.1:9734 cannot be opened
 > Accepting requests from port 9734

I tried again (stubborn, I guess):

 > yacas('Integrate(x)x;')
 [1] "Starting Yacas!"
 Accepting requests from port 9734
 YacasServer Could not bind to the socket
 : Address already in use
 /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/Ryacas/yacdir/R.ys(1) : File not found
 CommandLine(1) : Expecting ) closing bracket for sub-expression, but
got x instead

Any ideas where I may be going wrong? I don't know anything about
sockets. I've cross-posted to r-sig-debian. They may be interested.

Cheers,

Simon.

--
Simon Blomberg, B.Sc.(Hons.), Ph.D, M.App.Stat.
Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer
can be extracted from a given body of data.
- John Tukey.