[R] Lmer, heteroscedasticity and permutation

Alan Juilland Alan.Juilland at unil.ch
Mon Oct 16 16:31:22 CEST 2006

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to analyse a set of data with a non-normal response, 2 fixed
effects and 1 nested random effect with strong heteroscedasticity in the
model.

I planned to use the function lmer : lmer(resp~var1*var2 + (1|rand)) and
then use permutations based on the t-statistic given by lmer to get
p-values.

1/ Is it a correct way to obtain p-values for my variables ?

2/ I read somewhere that lme is more adequate when heteroscedasticity is
strong. Do I have to use lme instead of lmer ?

3/ It is possible to fit a glm in lmer using family="...". Is it
possible to use it in spite of hard heteroscedasticity ?

4/ A last question concerning SAS. My model appears to not converge in
SAS, indicating a "structure" in the variance. Is it implying something
in lmer or lme ?

Many Thanks

--
Alan Juilland