[R] Rcmd not working on Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Oct 12 13:01:21 CEST 2006

On 10/11/2006 10:18 PM, John Tillinghast wrote:
> I changed the path to include C:\Program Files\R\R-2.3.1\bin, but Rcmd check
> [package] just returns an error:
> 'Rcmd' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
> program or batch file.
>
> Any ideas? I want to be able to compile this package on Windows.

It sounds as though your path change didn't "take".  Remember that if
you make the change from the control panel, it only applies to shell
windows opened after the change, and if you make the change in a shell
window, it only applies to that window.  What I do is to have a little
command I can execute in a shell window to set the path appropriately
(but I'm not using the Windows CMD, I use Cygwin bash, so the details
probably wouldn't work for you).

But be aware that you'll need more changes to the path to be able to do
a check than just adding one thing:  see the "Windows toolset" appendix
to the Installation and Administration manual.

Duncan Murdoch