[R] ts vs zoo

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Thu Oct 12 12:53:54 CEST 2006

Schweitzer, Markus wrote:
> thank you very much for the information.
>
> I guess I should have been more clear here.
> I was looking for the "monthly" or weekly trends within this one year
> period.

Then, always keep in mind that stl() is looking for periodic component
of a frequency = 1. This means you have to define the time unit so that
you catch it. For monthly periodic component, use "month" as time unit.
For weekly periodic component, use "week" as time unit. You must convert
your data accordingly. Also keep in mind that stl() decomposes your
series into a general trend, a periodic trend of frenquency 1, and
noise, using an ADDITIVE model. So, if the components are
multiplicative, you should use a different model.

Otherwise, there is much more than stl() in R! In particular, you could
look at any significant periodic component in your series by using
spectrum(), for instance... still considering that your series is long
enough, which is probably the case for looking at weekly periodic
signals on a one-year long series.

Best,

Philippe Grosjean