[R] JGR installation (Was: 2 "linux/R environment" questions)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Oct 11 16:26:38 CEST 2006

On 11 October 2006 at 16:05, Stefan Grosse wrote:
| Prof Brian Ripley schrieb:
| >
| > Which arch and how did you install R?  For me, it works with R
| > compiled from the sources (but not installed from RPM) on FC5 i686,
| > but not x86_64.
| > The issue is a run-time one:
| >
| I have i686, no x86_64 ...
|
| OK, so I have to compile R from source ...

I had very good success on Debian and Ubuntu using the new

	$ R CMD javareconf

that was added in R 2.4.0.

After that, the usual install.packages() call as shown on the RoSuDa.org site
seems to install JGR reliably provided a Sun Java JDK is in the proper places
-- and using the pre-packaged and apt-get'able sun-java5-jdk package from the
non-free / multiverse repository for Debian / Ubuntu works just fine.

Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison