[R] 2 "linux/R environment" questions

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 11 13:32:11 CEST 2006

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Stefan Grosse wrote:

> Joe Byers schrieb:
>> JGR, when I manually compiled it for my system by specifying my location
>> of java 1.5.0_06, worked fairly nicely.  The autoinstall does not find
>> my installation of this java version since Redhat EL4 does not support
>> it.  Redhat EL5 will in the near future.  Maybe JGR will autoinstall then.
>>
> Can you tell how you worked that out (the manual compilation)? I failed
> on Fedora Core 5 with JRE 1.5.0_08 with install.packages and dep=true. I
> tried a hint from the JGR mailing list but failed...

Which arch and how did you install R?  For me, it works with R compiled
from the sources (but not installed from RPM) on FC5 i686, but not x86_64.
The issue is a run-time one:

> library(JGR)
createObject.FindClass org/rosuda/iplots/Framework failed
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError

and that class of problem seems all too common on amd64 versions of Sun
JRE.  (On FC3, I managed to make it work with a self-compiled gcc 4.1.1,
and haven't yet tried that on FC5.)

The key is to use alternatives(8) to make sure the right jre is found, or
to set JAVA_HOME.

If you install R from RPMs you will probably need to run R CMD javareconf
to get the right environment variables set in R itself.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk