[R] 2 "linux/R environment" questions

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Oct 10 17:17:58 CEST 2006

On 10 October 2006 at 10:51, Leeds, Mark \(IED\) wrote:
| 1) i use emacs ( or xemacs if need be ) and i vaguely being able to cut
| a line or a region in an emacs window and then paste it at my R prompt
| so that it ran. Could I be mistaken
| or is there an  option I need to set in my environment to be able to do
| this. It doesn't seem to work and I would prefer to avoid learning ESS.

All three questions in section 6 in the R FAQ details R and (X)Emacs.  And
yes, you do want to learn ESS as that is how (X)Emacs and R play together.

| 2) I can make my linux window ( where i am working in R )  quite wide
| but if i do a print or a head on a dataframe of say 8 columns , it
| doesn't know that there is all this extra space
| in the window and it ends  up putting the columns on top of each other
| instead of straight across and it's hard to read the data this way ? Is
| there a way to make it know that it has a lot more room than it is
| using.

Put

	options("width"=160)       # or whatever nb of columns you want

into ~/.Rprofile.  You may want to set other preferences too, see

	help("options")
	help("Startup")

Good luck,  Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison