[R] Fwd: read.table() and scientific notation

Alex Brown alex at transitive.com
Tue Oct 10 14:01:12 CEST 2006

note: this e-mail is supposed to precede my coerce hack one.

As an example of the other posters mentioning colClasses, with some
debugging notes:

# create a pretend file for this example

 > Lines <- scan(sep="\n", what="")
a 1 3e-8
b 2 1e+10
c 3 e-10
d 4 e+3

 > file <- textConnection(Lines)

# import as you would a file, and specify the column types.
 > T <- read.table(file, colClasses=list("character", "integer",
"double"))
Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines,
na.strings,  :
	scan() expected 'a real', got 'e-10'

# decide that's not very helpful.  let's just import everything as
character:
# restarting the file.
 >file <- textConnection(Lines)
 >T <- read.table(file, colClasses="character")
 >lapply(T, mode)
$V1
[1] "character"

$V2