[R] [Mac OS X 10.4] object R_loess_raw not found (reason found)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 21:36:39 CEST 2006

Dinner time with a nice bit of red is a great occasion to ponder over
this sort of thing.

It turns out that I had added a path to my DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH that held
my own stats.so and constants.so . The former must explain why R's
stats.so didn't load, the latter why I had similar problems with a
Python package.

It still bugs me why this was never a problem under 10.3 ...

How does R load the .so files in its packages? It looks like even if a
full path is specified in the file argument to dlopen(), it gets
beaten by whatever there is in DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH. That reeks of
something buggy (or interestingly different) in dlopen or whatever
call is being used, no?