[R] [Mac OS X 10.4] object R_loess_raw not found

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 13:25:26 CEST 2006

Hello,

Since I (finally) upgraded to 10.4 "Tiger", I've been experiencing
some strange behaviour with dynamic libraries.

When I now launch R, and try to use the loess() function from the
stats package, I get the following:

R version 2.4.0 (2006-10-03)
Copyright (C) 2006 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

[Previously saved workspace restored]

> example(loess)

loess> cars.lo <- loess(dist ~ speed, cars)
Error: object "R_loess_raw" not found

I saw this first with a self-built 2.3.1 version, that worked fine
under 10.3 . Hoping that a Tiger build would solve matters, I
installed the fresh 2.4.0 from the downloaded disk image. As you can
see, the error message persists.

Curiously, the ppc/stats.so file somewhere deep in the 2.4 framework's
bowels does contain a symbol loess_raw, but not R_loess_raw. I wrote a
quick C app that dlopens a .so file and then tries to obtain a given
symbol from it using dlsym. I can't seem to get any of the defined
symbol from stats.so . I'd say my little loader is broken somewhere,
BUT ...

This does remind me of a problem I had with a Python module
(pygame/constants), where the expected init function (initconstants)
was available but invisible to dlsym(). In that case, changing the
module (and init function's) name solved the issue, I still don't
understand why.

This is really annoying, so if anyone has an idea about what might be
going on, I'd appreciate the feedback!

BTW, I did try building my own copy, but for some reason, the
configure/build process ignores the optimised BLAS in the vecLib
framework ...

René Bertin
(PS: please CC me via email if you reply)