[R] Fitting a cumulative gaussian

Gamer, Matthias gamer at uni-mainz.de
Fri Oct 6 11:49:38 CEST 2006

Dear R-Experts,

I was wondering how to fit a cumulative gaussian to a set of empirical
data using R. On the R website as well as in the mail archives, I found
a lot of help on how to fit a normal density function to empirical data,
but unfortunately no advice on how to obtain reasonable estimates of m
and sd for a gaussian ogive function.
Specifically, I have data from a psychometric function relating the
frequency a subject's binary response (stimulus present / absent) to the
strength of a physical stimulus. Such data is often modeled using a
cumulative gaussian function. I have tried to implement such a fitting
algorithm in R, but unfortunately, I was not successful. Maybe anyone on
the list already coded a script for such purposes or could help me
otherwise???

Thanks in advance,
Matthias